Air conditioning /heating diagnostic test
Does my air conditioning heating unit need to be replaced?
Deciding when it’s time to repair or replace your heating and cooling system can be difficult. As with a car or any other mechanical system, there are many factors to consider, including the age and condition of the equipment.
Even if your older system still seems to be running smoothly, you might consider investing in a new model, especially if your system is more than 10 years old. That’s because a higher-efficiency system can significantly reduce your energy bills. It can enhance the comfort and quality of your home’s air. You may also qualify for a government tax credit for up to $1500 for the purchase of a new unit.
On top of all this, you get the peace of mind that comes from knowing you’re doing your part to protect the environment. The less energy your system uses the lower demands on power plants, which means less pollution. Innovations like the new, U.S. EPA-approved R410A refrigerant can also benefit the environment.
Should you repair or Replace your HVAC system? See the checklist below…
I am having this/these issue(s)
- Some of my rooms are too hot or too cold.You may have problems with your ducts including improper sealing, inadequate insulation or improper sizing. Regardless of how new or efficient your heating and cooling system is, your home must have properly sized duct work and it must be thoroughly insulated and air tight in order to maximize your AC unit’s efficiency and your comfort.
- My home seems to be too humid and is often rather dusty.These are the symptoms if your air conditioning system is not operating properly or it is not the correct size. Bad or damaged ductwork may also be the culprit so be sure to have that checked routinely. Also be sure to check and or change your filters monthly maximize efficiency.
- My cooling system seems to make a lot of noise.Improper duct size and/or a damaged indoor coil of your cooling cooling equipment may be to blame.
- My equipment needs to be repaired a lot and my electric bills seem high.If your heating and air conditioning system is older and/or not in good condition it will not be as efficient as newer units and may be costing you comfort and too much money.
- My heating and air conditioning unit is more than 12 years old.It’s time to replace your unit. Energy Star equipment has high efficiency standards designed save money, electricity and will ultimately make your home more comfortable.
- I leave my thermostat set at the same temperature all the time…it this good or bad?Programmable thermostats enable you to adjust your homes temperature during the times that you are normally away, or sleeping, thus saving you money.